Thursday, 8 September 2011

Proud!

I am very proud to say that today i received the news that my image of a Grey Heron catching a Brown Trout at Verulamium Park, St Albans has been awarded the overall winner of the Herts & Middlesex Wildlife Trust 2011 Photography Competition. It will displayed on the cover of their 2012 calender and feature inside on 1 of the months, it should be in their October magazine and may also feature in some local media.

The image was taken on a rather dull day when myself and Erin (my better half) decided to get out of the house and have a walk. I would love to say it took me hours of preparation and patience but in reality we just visited the park and i knew that the Heron's here are particulary tame and so stood a good chance of photographing something. What i didn't expect was the size of fish this adult would pull out as they are usually much smaller at this site, the action happened very fast...i sat down opposite the Heron as he stared into the river, he did this for ages and in the end i began to lower my camera out of boredom thinking he was never going to fish. Suddenly he plunged and i reacted as quick as i could! I must've fired off aroundd 10 shots of the actual moment of fishing and around 4 of them were decent, this one being my favourite.

It's a bit of weird of angle but i just reacted and hoped something came out that wasn't blurred, in the end it was exactly the shot i could've hoped for, hope you like it!

3 comments:

  1. A fabulous shot that fully deserves the recognition it is receiving. The key to taking great pictures is taking pictures and you were in the right place at the right time, with the all the benefits of local knowledge. As for the angle, I think it adds to the sense of the heron having to enter the fish's world to capture its prey. What a shot! Great work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks alot Tim, really appreciate your kind comments! I am still learning about wildlife photography and always trying to improve, comments like this only encourage me to continue this passion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is an incredible image Ben - I'd be SERIOUSLY proud of that one.

    Christian

    P.S.

    Just found your blog and I'll be visiting more often.

    ReplyDelete