Saturday, 25 September 2010

Knot Bothered!

Had an absolute corking day around Norfolk on Wednesday! I began the day at Snettisham RSPB reserve at 6.30am...the sun was only just getting up! It was a cool morning but the sun rose and offered up some very nice warm light for photography. I found some very confiding Ringed Plovers when i first got there but will save photos of them for another time. The main star of the day for me was the Red Knot, a lovely little wader that gathers in HUGE numbers at this time of year, as you can see from this photo....


This is a cropped photo and the original has lots more Knots in it! Some of them still showing their red summer plumage. This fantastic gathering of loads of birds was an awesome sight and whenever they moved they made an amazing wooshing sound, it was breathtaking! In comparison my next amazing encounter with this species was with a lone juvenile bird, i noticed it feeding on the mud and decided to take a punt at photographing it....which meant wading through a large amount of wet mud, the things we do! At first it seemed a bit wary of me, every time i crept close it moved away...i didn't think i was going to get any decent pics and didn't want to scare the bird but it never flew off and seemed to tolerate me. I decided to stay still, kept low and be patient and soon it began to move closer and closer....and closer still until it was right next to me feeding away and at one point it even bumped into my boot! Here are some of the many many photos i took!

You can see my muddy boot in the front of the pic, as you can see we were best mates!




















2 comments:

  1. Brilliant set mate! Well played some lovely shots there

    ReplyDelete